VEGAn-TAB BETA 4 FINALDecember 22, 2010 7 Comments
As Per usual USE THIS ROM AT YOUR OWN RISK. We highly recommend clockworkmod recovery .08 as a pre-req. We are only testing for cwm users.
I would also recommend a full data wipe between updates, at least for now when we reach STABLE RELEASE stage this may not be always necessary. There is a great tool out there you can use if you don’t know about it already called Titanium Backup it is on the market and there is a free version. It allows you to backup/restore all your apps and even save/restore data for those apps… the only caveat I will say is do not restore any system apps (ie. apps preloaded with our roms) this can cause issues.
****The First Boot after installing BETA 4 will take a few minutes to catch up and will feel “laggy” this depends on how much media you have on your device for it to scan in the first time****
**If you are having issues with the new market telling you you don’t have enough space to download then your SD Partitions are incorrect and need fixed** -Boot to Clockworkmod, select advanded, then partition SD, 2048 for first option, and 0 for second. process will take ~10 mins ******WARNING THIS WILL DELETE EVERYTING ON SDCARD (internal) MAKE A BACKUP!!!!******
ON TO THE ROM:
1.0.0 Beta4 Link: http://vegantab.gojimi.com/download/…user.final.zip
This is an update.zip formatted file. You’d run this like you’d run any other update.zip file.
This is a collaboration between myself, Roebeet, and Rothnic – The G-TabDevs Team.
****Unfortunately I have to shelf the autoBrightness fix for the moment as it is causing some random but serious stability issues. I will return to it at a later date. Sorry Guys and Gals. But here is a rundown of new things that have made it in!****
BETA 4 changes:
- A New Cleaner Base System Image with the addition of files from new Advent Vega Release (we can finally get rid of the hacked together Image That I originally created for VEGAn)
- New Kernel (from latest unreleased TNT Update kernel version #15)
- New Boot Logo(replaces G-Tablet on white background)
- New VOLD Binary and MediaProvider(allows media to be seen from External SD Card as well as internal)(videos are not being automatically found on SDCARD2 ATM I am working on that)
- Settings app no longer has Call Settings option or mobile networks as it is not a phone
- New Market (We have got it showing even more apps… but still not all. Still need to do the market hack.)
- Some Graphics and Performance Improvements reduces video tearing issue among other improvements (G-TabDevs Performance Pack)
- New Music Player(pulled the one from CM6.1 and got it running on VEGAn)
- framework laid for bluetooth HID(not sure if it is fully functional yet please let us know if it work for you)
- laid the framework for POSSIBLE OPENVPN support(not fully functional yet sure if I can get it to work yet)
- New Theme Improvements – Switched to a more Cyan color highlights (the previous green may be available as a small update at a later date.
- Flash now auto installs on first boot up usually after about 15 secs so the tablet can finish booting
Benefits to us:
- Soft buttons, like TnT. But no TnT UI layer getting in our way. So, for example, keyboard replacements should work.
- Just as fast as the new builds we have if not FASTER.
- Vega build has a bootup script where we can install user-based apks, after a data wipe. So, for example, Flash is now added to the build.
- Vega firmware development is probably more active than the official TnT development, at least from the little I’ve seen so far (though TnT have been fairly active lately).
- Videos are not being automatically scanned on the EXTERNAL SDCARD.
- Weird orange bar is showing up in the stock Calendar app.
- The newest Market apk seems to have issues with any device that’s been re-partitioned outside of the default of 2048. The “fix” is to re-partition your SD back to the default of 2048, in clockworkmod. Thanks to proengin for informing us of this.